Adath Shalom takes pride in providing its members with learning opportunities. We have had presentations by
- visiting Rabbis
- university professors, including a biblical scholar
- representatives and others involved in not-for–profit organizations
Among the topics that were discussed in one year were:
- What is terrorism? A History of Terrorism with a Jewish perspective.
- Kashrut, religion and magic: What is the dynamic understood to be at work behind the Torah's dietary laws? What is the relationship between religion and magic in the Hebrew Bible and the ancient Near East?
- Refugees in Israel: Israel is home to more than 30,000 asylum seekers from Eritrea and Sudan who do not have access to legal status. An inside look at their situation.
- Prophet, King, Judge and Priest: The Torah prescribed the domain of responsibilities of the King, the Judge, the Prophet and the Priest but their duties brought them into conflict with each other.
- Ask the Rabbi: A Rabbi’s perspective on important questions submitted by Adath Shalom members.
- The Apocrypha: Essay version, Oral presentation, D'var June 12,2020 by David Brooks
- TURNING TOWARD G-D, SOME IDEAS ABOUT TESHUVA by Ari Goldberg
- Jewish Calendar by Edward L. Cohen
- Asherah by Avi Yan
- Calendars of the Dead-Sea-Scroll Sect by Edward L. Cohen
- Jewish History Tables by David Steinberg
- Ugaritic Literature as an Aid to Understanding the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) by David Steinberg
- Flavius Josephus, Judaea and Rome: A Question of Context by David Steinberg
- Temple Tablet Transcription and Translation by David Steinberg
- History of the Hebrew Language by David Steinberg
- The Origin and Nature of the Samaritans and their Relationship to Second Temple Jewish Sects by David Steinberg
- Jewish Sects of the Second Temple Period by David Steinberg
- What Should We Call Eretz Israel-Palestine? by David Steinberg
- Some Ecumenical Thoughts on Sin by David Steinberg
- Israelite Religion to Judaism: the Evolution of the Religion of Israel by David Steinberg
- Greek Influence on Judaism from the Hellenistic Period to the Middle Ages c. 300 BCE- 1200 CE by David Steinberg
- A Note on Esther 8:17 - What did the Gentiles Do? by David Steinberg
- Orthodox, Conservative and Reform Judaisms - Contrasting Positions on Key Issues by David Steinberg
- A Comparison of the New Conservative Humash, Etz Hayim, with those of Plaut and Hertz by David Steinberg
- Body Part Metaphors and Euphemisms in Biblical Hebrew by David Steinberg
- Arabs, Edomites and Jews - Getting on With Your Relatives by David Steinberg
- Guide to Ancient Treasures and the Dead Sea Scrolls by David Steinberg
- Kaufmann Kohler and the Rise of Reform Judaism in America by David Steinberg
- Conservative Judaism and Jewish Law - Women in Minyan, Driving & electricity on Shabbat, Yom Tov Sheni by David Steinberg
- Jewish Responses to Challenges to the Historicity of Biblical History by David Steinberg
- Notes from two weeks of touring in northern Ethiopia